Thursday 12 March 2009

The Test day

After braving a shower in the sub zero temperatures i got the car of the trailer, gave it a quick check over and grabbed a sausage sarny. After donating my internal organs to pay for the sarny i went and signed on. I was expecting a safety briefing similiar to trackdays, but to my delight after showing my licence i was given my wrist band and the sponsorship stickers for the series and sent on my way. 

I then went over to noise testing, which i was a little worried about as i'd had to change my exhaust can in order to fit the CAT now required by MSA rules. In 2007 i had had a big custom can made to quieten the car down for trackdays, but due to the CAT it would not fit, so had to fit a standard R1 can. Luckily i came in at 102db, which is comfortably under the 105 limit.

Initially i was very nervous about driving on the track, purely as i'd never been in the situation where over taking under braking or around corners was allowed, but within a few laps i was loving it. I just need to get it into my head into it for next weekend and not wait for people to move out of the way. Although i may well be the slowest person on the circuit so won't have to worry about that!!

The day was a bit irritating due to the amount of red flags, but then i caused one when my oil filter decided to make a bid for freedom, squirting oil all over the track and exhaust! The smoke from the oil warned me of the problem and i pulled over straight away. Initaiily i was expecting to see a massive hole in the engine with a piston hanging out of it, but to my relief discouvered the loose oil filter. I decided it was best to pack up and go home and investigate any further damage at home.

Once at home i drained the oil (there was over 3 litres left in the engine), fitted a new filter and topped it back up with oil. The engine sounds fine so hopefullyno damage was done. I've now lockwired the filter so it won't happen again.

Roll on Friday!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment