Friday 23 November 2012

Donington Park 2nd September 2012

Sorry its been so long, i just dont seem to have any time to keep up with this!!! I'm not going to go through everything now, plus i lost some photos off my phone and some video, so cant do a full report anyway.

After the Anglesey disaster i was feeling rather nervous about the race and my chance of 2nd in class for the season was all but over, i just wanted to finish both races and go home with the car in 1 piece. I think my qualifying highlighted this as i was 4th in class and nearly a 0.7s slower than Steve and Paul Rickers. I had an awful start in race 1, and dropped back another couple of places in class, but Steve then had a problem  (i think his undertray got bent into his back wheel) and had to retire. Colin Spicer who had got past me on the my tentative start, spun off the chicane. I then managed to get past Dave Watson (who was going well) on the 3rd lap. I couldnt catch Paul Rickers and had consigned myself to 3rd, but on the last lap i almost went off on oil at Mcleans and then saw Paul on fire at Coppice (oil leak caused the fire). I can honestly say i have never been so gutted to get 2nd place, Paul had a rotten run of luck and deserved the 2nd place

The clutch had been getting more and more snatchy through the season but i had just lived with, but after my woeful start we decided to have a look at it before the 2nd race. This turned out to be rather fruitful as we discovered 4 of the plates had broken up!! I have no idea how the clutch was still working, but it was consigned to the bin and another one fitted.

Race 2 started better, Steve was ahead of me with 2 class R cars in-between us, but it was inevitable they would get past steve so decided just to follow them round until then, then mount my attack on steve. The plan was all going well and i was tucked up right behind him, then his clutch went and he had to retire again. I was gutted as i was really looking forward to a proper battle with steve. Between us we had a lot of problems through the season and actually only both finished the same race twice! So i collected 2nd place again with an easy drive, and with steve not finishing it meant we were both on 99 points with the last race of the season at Mallory lined up as the decider.

Photos:-

No comments:

Post a Comment